Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Quick Rules for an MLA Works Cited List
Your research paper ends with a list of all the sources cited in the text of the paper. This is called a Works Cited list.
See examples in the "Sample Paper & Works Cited List" box on this page.
Here are eight quick rules for this list:
- Start a new page for your Works Cited list (e.g., if your paper is 4 pages long, start your Works Cited list on page 5).
- Center the title, Works Cited, at the top of the page and do not bold or underline it.
- Double-space the list.
- Start the first line of each citation at the left margin; indent each subsequent line 0.5 inches (also known as a "hanging indent").
- Put your list in alphabetical order. Alphabetize the list by the first word in the citation. In most cases, the first word will be the author’s last name. Where the author is unknown, alphabetize by the first word in the title, ignoring the words a, an, the.
- For each author, give the last name followed by a comma and the first name followed by a period.
- Italicize the titles of full works: books, audiovisual material, websites.
- Do not italicize titles of parts of works, such as: articles from newspapers, magazines, or journals / essays, poems, short stories or chapter titles from a book / chapters or sections of an Internet document. Instead, use quotation marks.
Finished your assignment? Use this checklist to be sure you haven't missed any information needed for MLA style.
Sample Paper & Works Cited List
This sample paper includes a sample assignment page with example of how to include your student information and a Works Cited list in MLA format.
It can be used as a template to set up your assignment.
If you are adding an appendix to your paper there are a few rules to follow that comply with MLA guidelines:
- The Appendix appears before the Works Cited list
- If you have more than one appendix you would name the first appendix Appendix A, the second Appendix B, etc.
- The appendices should appear in the order that the information is mentioned in your essay
- Each appendix begins on a new page