Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Peabody Essex Museum Events
Asian/Pacific Islanders Exhibits
Philips Library Webpage
Collections on Asia: Asian travel diaries, photo albums, modern catalogs/books, modern artist's books and modern books in Asian languages.
- Edward Sylvester Morse papers (American scholar who lived and taught in Japan, includes a few letters with Yu Kil-Chun, a scholar who was part of the first Korean delegation to the US and studied at the Governor's Academy in Byfield).
- Andover Newton Theological School Collection (includes many linguistic materials, including from China, Thailand, Myanmar (Burma), and Hawaii)
- Museum of the American China Trade records
- Travel diaries, e.g. John H. Eagleston Autobiography (several, travels in China, Cambodia, Singapore, Fiji, and Thailand), William Austin Diary (travels in India), Journal of a woman on a voyage from Batavia to Canton (travels in China and Indonesia).
- Logbooks of ships which travelled in the region, e.g. St. Paul (Ship) Logbook (Singapore and the Philippines), Akbar (Ship) logbook (Canton, Manila, Singapore, and Calcutta), Glide (Ship) Logbook (Fiji, New Zealand, and Manila)
- Photo albums: Photograph album of Hawaii, China, Korea, and Japan, 1909-1913, Fiji Museum, Suva : photograph album, Album of Philippines photographs, undated [circa 1900]
- Modern artists' books: Seven stories of Mewar and Pleated : the story of Ammama and her sarees and unconventional women in traditional drapes
- Modern art catalogs/books: Pathway of the birds : the voyaging achievements of Maori and their Polynesian ancestors, The Chinese lady : Afong Moy in early America, India 20 : conversations with contemporary artists
- Historical and modern books in Asian languages: see in particular the "Herbert Offen Research Collection"of Chinese books, ukiyo-e illustrated books (best to search by artist, e.g Hokusai), and the collection of modern Indian art books donated by "Chester and Davida Herwitz."