This guide contains library and Internet resources on Old English, Middle English and Modern English. This is a starting point for your research into the history of the English language. Be sure to check out the audio clisp so you can hear the languages spoken.
If you need further help with your research, feel free to contact me.
The History of English in Ten Minutes
SSC Library Resources
Here are a some library books on the history of the English language.
- Barber, Charles Laurence - The English language : a historical introduction
- Bragg, Melvyn - The adventure of English : the biography of a language
- Bryson, Bill - The mother tongue : English & how it got that way
- Hogg, Richard M - The Cambridge history of the English language
- Hogg, Richard M - A history of the English language
- Hughes, Geoffrey - A history of English words
- Millward, Celia M - A biography of the English language
- Singh, Ishtla - The history of English
- Svartvik, Jan - English : one tongue, many voices